Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Heights I'm Gaining Everyday

Did I tell you that I am extremely afraid of heights?  I don’t mind flying at all.  But, get me out on a ledge and my knees get weak and I slump down into a safe grab of anything solid.

Seriously, this is not very manly.  Particularly for one who used to be a firefighter!  Climb ladders? Check.  Roof-top Chimney fires?  Check.  One hundred foot tower platform?  Check.  But, all of this was as a “volunteer” so I normally volunteered to stay on the ground!

As a family we have vacationed in many high places.  Once we were in Toronto, Canada and ascended the gigantic CN Tower.  I was okay as long as I was inside.  Then we found, inside, the glass floor!  Yikes.  All of a sudden tomorrow’s headlines were streaming through my head, “Glass Floor Breaks.”  Susan and the boys were enjoying their “walk on the clouds” looking down.  I tried to insist they get off and back on solid flooring.

Last year we went west to Las Vegas.  Outside of the gambler and entertainment Mecca are some captivating and beautiful mountains.  Every inviting rock formation my family would climb.  And all I could envision was one slip and their off.  We went on a tour of the Grand Canyon.  Yes the “big ditch.”  Holy Toledo!  What are you thinking?  Get away from that edge!  No, I won’t come over there to look over!

This little runoff at the keyboard seems contrary to my last blog entry, doesn’t it?  I wrote of “reaching the top” and seeing from high atop Georgia’s mountains God’s beautiful world.  But remember, I was on solid ground safely away from any ledges or seemingly slippery slopes.  I was safe.  I placed myself comfortably away from any possibility of danger.

As I go through life, I attempt to position myself safely in God’s protection.  I am successful sometimes.  Sometimes circumstance or my own stupidity pushes me toward a ledge.  When I do, I prayerfully slump down and reach out to grab hold of something solid.  Without any judgment or accusations I find the waiting arms of the Solid Rock of my salvation.
I'm pressing on the upward way,
New heights I'm gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound,
"Lord, plant my feet on higher ground."
Lord, lift me up, and let me stand
By faith on Canaan's tableland;
A higher plane than I have found,
  Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

1 comment:

  1. Tommy, I share your disdain with heights. Getting worse as I get older, too. Only one day, if the Lord allows me to live, I'll fly away. I don't think that will be scary, as I'll be holding an angel's hand.

    Debbie A

    ReplyDelete