Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"Harry, I've reached the top!"

This quote is from one of my family’s Christmas-tradition movie series, “Home Alone.”  Real aficionados will know which of the movies it is from and what comes next!

This past week I took advantage of the landscape within which I have now found myself—the north Georgia mountains.  After a great conversation and lunch with a friend, I took a serendipitous stop to explore the invitation of a sign pointing to “recreational areas.”  What I found was breathtaking!  A mountain trail near a man-made lake.

Unfortunately, I had not dressed for a good, brisk mountain hike.  But that didn’t stop me.  With my dress trousers and shoes I trudged on.  It was a beautiful, sunny cool day.  I found myself on a path to which I really had no idea where it would lead.  So, after about fifteen minutes, I decided to reverse my direction.  While doing so, I listened to the sounds and observed my surroundings.  All of this I had not been privileged to experience in a very, very long time.  I soaked it all in.

What I began to realize is that this reminded me of paths we take in life.  While I could only see a short distance in any direction, I journeyed on.  I trusted those who had gone before and planned the route; I anticipated what was ahead.  I continued on despite all of the uncertainties.  In my life I forge ahead along life’s path, knowing perhaps only what is ahead for only a short distance.  I prayerfully trust the One who has guided me to this path.  And, I eagerly keep forging ahead anticipating the next view or even the next “fork in the road.”

After safely returning to my car (and being assured I was not in a recreation of Deliverance!), another path invited me to enter.  This one looked promising; it appeared to be going somewhere.  It was headed upward.  I thought how the view must be wonderful from up there. 

It did not disappoint!  Midway up I reached a plateau of sorts with a green lush grassy area…in the mid of winter!  What was this?  Why was it here?  How was this happening?  I didn’t get the answers to those questions, but the spiritual analyses are plentiful!

I walked on, and then I finally reached the pinnacle, wow!  WOW!  Breath-taking…literally!  I had reached the top!  I could see for miles!  The song “The Majesty and Glory of Your Name” was playing in my mind!  (I would have sung it but I was literally breath-less; attempting to let my lungs and heart catch up!)

While I know that I haven’t arrived (or reached the top) yet.  One thing I do know, is that I am going to keep on walking, keep on climbing, keep on reaching for all that God wants and has for me! (Philippians 3:12, paraphrased)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tommy--I'd love to know more about that green meadow you discovered and how it has managed to survive the winter! Welcome to northwest Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy, I am praying for you to find the work there for which God made you. May you and Susan enjoy Georgia. Thanks for your friendship and support across the years. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tommy,

    Isn't that just like God? Showing up in a miriad of unexpected ways and when we least exepct it! Keep on moving forward and I am sure oyu will not be disappointed at what God has ahead in the journey! Lucile

    ReplyDelete