Tuesday, February 28, 2012

People Watching

I have heard people say many times, “I love to go to the Mall just to watch people.”  Of course, this is a fun activity just about anywhere you go.  Since I have been in a lot of airports recently, I tend to do my observing there.

Recently I had a rather lengthy layover in the airport in Nassau, The Bahamas.  NO, I was not there on vacation!  My first flight from Treasure Key, Abaco had gotten me up very early—before sunrise.  In this little airport on this somewhat remote island in the northeastern part of The Bahamas, I literally helped open up the airport.  Soon a few more passengers-to-be arrived as did a few of the employees.  Eventually the plane arrived and a well-dressed Bahamian National Police officer went to greet the plane.  Off stepped one casually dressed Bahamian man wearing a ball cap, smiling and speaking to everyone as he walked by them.  Except for me of course.  I figured it was obvious I was not a registered voter and he passed me by.  But, I didn’t jump up to shake his hand either.

As I was exiting to board the plane I asked the gate attendant who the gentleman was.  Well, she looked at me disgustedly and said, “That is the Prime Minister.”  Holy cow!  I had ignored a world leader!

After arriving in Nassau I quickly sought after my morning dose of caffeine and a breakfast sandwich.  I watched as others passed through the shops and food court.  Some were also looking for their morning meal.  Soon I spotted one young couple which appeared to be ending their tropical vacation.  What caught my eye was the amount of flesh that he had not tattooed.  Well, I sized them up immediately and began to conjure up my humble analysis of them.

Then, the strangest thing happened.  He brought their food back to where she had sat; he sat across from her, they clasped hands and prayed!  They said grace; they had the blessing; they thanked God for the provisions they were to partake.  Great!  All of the negative thoughts I had assigned to them due to his appearance fooled me.  These two were sincere followers of God and were acknowledging His provision for their sustenance.

I was thankful that they could not hear my internal thoughts judging them by their outward appearance.  I had to seek forgiveness from the same One to whom they prayed. 

Wasn’t this pretty typical, though?  We tend to “judge a book by its cover,” not really caring about the true content of one’s worth in the sight of God.  For me, this was just another time in which God reminded me that beyond my short, chubby appearance, it is who I am in Him that matters.  My prayer needs to be over and over again, “LORD, give my eyes to see others as You see them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment