Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"...But the Greatest of these is Love."

On this day set aside each year to pad the coffers of greeting card companies, chocolate manufacturers and Jewelry stores, I can’t help but follow the trend to express to my Valentine my love and affection for her.  For almost thirty years now she has been my constant companion, true friend, and mate.

I recall the first time my eyes saw her.  I believe the words which went through my mind were the same which Adam first uttered when God presented Eve to him: “Hubba Hubba!”  (Seriously, it’s that way in the original manuscripts!) I know, not very romantic, but truly sincere.  Long before Cupid drew back his bow, God had planned for her and me to meet then and there.

Let me give to you a little background information.  Susie was born to Bill and Ora Parr in Fort Worth, Texas in 19__ (what?  You think I’m stupid!).  These two Alabamans were living there because Bill had taken a job after graduating from Devry Institute in Chicago.  They were very faithful and active members of Rosen Heights Baptist Church where Dr. R. Earl Allen was pastor.  After Susie’s birth in September her parents dedicated her to the LORD in a special Parent/Child dedication service at church.  Dr. Allen held this little precious newborn girl in his arms and prayed for her and her parents.  Soon after that Bill and Ora moved back to their home state of Alabama to raise their family in Huntsville.

Fast-forward to 1980 when Susie graduated from college and headed to Fort Worth to continue her education and follow her Calling to ministry.  Her parents and friends at Rosen Heights Baptist Church had remained close over the years and when they heard Susie was coming their way, they let it be known that they needed a pianist.  Dr. Allen was still pastor and was delighted that this now young woman would serve the Lord in the church in which her calling had begun.

In 1981 as a struggling seminary student myself, I needed additional income in order to buy groceries.  I learned of a “job made for a seminary student” at a church on the north side of Cowtown.  I got the job as night custodian at Rosen Heights Baptist Church and began on June 3, 1981, the night referenced above (“Hubba! Hubba!”).

Little did Susie Parr or I know that the Lord had a plan for each of us—together.  From Alabama and Virginia God brought our very different paths together at the same church under the same pastor that held her many years earlier and with her parents dedicated her to the Lord.  Thus began a journey of love that has taken us from Texas to Georgia, Virginia, Florida and back to Georgia again; has blessed us with two sons who love and serve the Lord; countless friends and colleagues in churches and ministry settings we would have never dreamed of; and a wonderful extended family that has blessed us all these years.

There is no doubt in my mind that when Holy Scripture was penned, canonized and provided for all to read, that love was and is its ultimate theme.  Yes, love for God; love instead of hate for one another; and His unfailing love for us.  The model of love that should dictate all of our thoughts and actions.  Yes, there is faith and hope; but the greatest of these is love. (I Corinthians 13:13)

Happy Valentine’s Day, my Love!

1 comment: