Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Ducks on the Pond"


Sitting in a rocking chair at the Terrace Hotel at Lake Junaluska Retreat and Conference Center one morning I was overlooking the lake.  Behind the shimmering luster of the water were mountains, small and grand peaking out through the early morning fog.  A few early risers were exercising along the path around the lake, workers were beginning their tasks of maintenance, housekeeping and the like.


I observed one lonely duck floating across the lake.  That in itself was not that inspirational.  What drew my attention was the ripple effect out behind it.  This small little creature wasn’t creating a large wake as it glided across the water.  But what it did still ventured out long and far behind.

The LORD reminded me in that moment that my actions and thoughts are like those ripples of water.  Whether good or bad, those actions, thoughts and words extend out and affect long and far after I have spoken them or acted in such a way.

The obvious was to turn inward and reflect on the negative ones, yes, sin.  Forgive me LORD, purify me, and cleanse me.  Reveal to me those un-confessed.  Restore to me the joy of my salvation by your love mercy and grace.

Without pride, however, I realized that there have been “good ones,” too.  LORD, may they be only reflective of you.  Let me have no selfish pride.  Help me to have more good ones than bad ones today, rippling out positively touch my world today.
AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment