Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring is “Springing”

Here I sit in my home office with the windows up enjoying the beauty of the introduction of Spring and music begins to play.  No, not on the radio, nor my iPod.  But the birds outside the window.

Having lived out of “four season country” for ten years, this is music to my ears.  I begin to realize what I had missed living where it was always spring or summer.  (Of course, there are great advantages to that. But I won’t bore anyone with that in this blog!)  The birds are singing and communicating to one another.  What are they saying?  To whom are they calling?  I really do not care.  Sing on creature!

The grass is greening; even the weedy-type which is prominent in the yard of our rental house.  It beckons the roar of the lawn mower.  Irises are popping up through the ground, stretching their fresh leaves out toward the sun preparing to bloom.  The rose bushes are greening and reviving from the trim given to them in the fall.  Gosh!  Even the dandelions are pretty this year!

The trees are budding – Achoo!  We are having difficulty trying to identify the various varieties of which we are not familiar with.  This is a task that is almost outside the realm of a Google search!  The beloved dogwood trees’ buds are bursting.  Soon, as in this week, their beauty of white and pink will permeate the horizon and even the dense woods.

We have placed our hummingbird feeder out waiting for these creatures to come and quench their thirst.  The bumblebees by the thousands are gathering pollen from the wisteria and flowering trees around.

Like us, the neighbors have begun to venture outside their houses, crank up the mowers, raking out the flowerbeds, preparing garden beds, and generally sprucing up.  Spring is springing all around!

The beauty of spring is a reminder of life’s resurrection.  What appeared to be dead is coming back to life!  What was dormant was actually still alive.  Life is springing all around.  This inspires me to refresh and rejuvenate my own living of this life.  (Somebody say “exercise.” Doesn’t pushing the lawnmower count?)

I am also reminded of my spiritual journey.  What has been dormant that I need to restart?  What can I do to rejuvenate my walk with Christ?  Even the Psalmist King David prayed “Create in me a clean heart, O God. . .Restore to me the joy of your salvation.”

During this season of Lent we journey toward a time of celebrating the One who overcame death, was rejuvenated for our sake, in order that we might live again and again.

What a beautiful reminder of spring!  Hallelujah what a Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment